Best bakeries and sweet shops in Madrid
Christmas is here, there’s no doubt about it. This is a time of the year where candy and pastries are some of the main characters. Nougat candy (turrón), polvorones, marzipan, Three King’s cake… there’s a wide variety of choices that Christmas in Madrid or Spain gives us to sweeten our day to day. Today we would like to talk to you about some of the bakeries and sweet shops in Madrid so you can enjoy the best products for these holidays.
Where to buy Christmas sweets in Madrid
Madrid has a wide variety of shops where you can buy Christmas sweets. These are the most important ones:
- La Mallorquina: A great classic. This pastry is located in Puerta del Sol. It has been there since 1894. In addition to their home-made turrones, they have typical Spanish King cakes (roscón de Reyes)
- El Riojano: The name designates its origin. Situated in Calle Mayor, it has even more history than La Mallorquina. In fact, this great place opened in 1855. It specialises in glacé chestnuts, as well as artisanal turrones and roscones de reyes.
- El Horno de San Onofre: As the name tells us, this store is located in the number 3 of San Onofre street. Their roscones are very famous.
- Formentor: This bakery and candy shop in Barrio de Salamanca celebrates this year its six decades of activity. As in the Horno de San Onofre, the real star in its menu is the Three King’s cake, one of the most popular ones of the city of Madrid.
- La Duquesita: In Fernando VI street, this store offers a wide variety of turrones of various flavors and tastes.
- Casa Mira: First opened in 1842, this shop is famous for their artisanal products and the decoration that is the same as when this shop started.