¿Do you know where to eat the best sandwiches in Madrid?
It is said that John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, was so enthusiastic about card games that in one occasion he played cards 24 hours straight. Of course, he started to be hungry but he just wouldn’t stop playing, so he asked for someone to bring a piece of meat between two slices of bread so he didn’t have to stand up or get dirty.
For some this story, halfway through tale and legend, sets the beginning of what we nowadays call Sandwich. Today, the Earl’s invention has popularised to the point that sometimes sandwiches are not very far away from the higher cuisine. Today we’re going to show you some of the best places to have a nice sandwich in Madrid, from the most popular to the most chic places.
Where to eat the best sandwiches in Madrid
The day to day stress, the necessity of doing tourism in Madrid with a tight schedule or simply, or just for the pleasure of having a classic sandwich to face the day ahead. However, eating a sandwich in Madrid doesn’t not mean that you’re going to be eating junk food or an unhealthy cuisine. In the following restaurants you will be able to have quality sandwiches in the city and maintain a balanced diet.
- La Casa Tomada: author sandwiches, artisanal beer and a wide variety in this restaurant in San Lorenzo street. Over 20 sandwich varieties that are VERY generous.
- El Porrón Canalla: This interesting spot is in the number 2 of the Ballesta street. Artisanal bread and first quality ingredients to create a wide variety of sandwiches: calamari, Iberian ham with tomato, tortilla…
- The Big Banh: This restaurant in Malasaña (Calle Don Felipe, 4) specialises in creating Vietnamese sandwiches. They have a great deal of Asian beers and home-made desserts.
- Casa María: Located in the Plaza Mayor in Madrid, it’s one of the classics, for both locals and tourists, to enjoy the renowned bocata de calamares. A mixture of tradition and innovation.
- Crumb: In the number 8 of the Conde Duque street. They serve great sandwiches with the best ingredients.